Departments in Firum
Firum employs approximately 30 people, mostly scientists and researchers. The employees are attached to the various specialized departments of Firum:
- Firum við Áir, the main facility, hosts most researchers from various departments.
- The Department of Biotechnology Biotøkni is based in a research park facility in Tórshavn called iNOVA. Here, advanced tools are used to conduct research activities.
- The Ecology Department Vistfrøði works mainly with ecosystems in fjords to better understand the interaction between nature and aquaculture activities. The projects are largely about how the industry affects the environment - both from a biological and chemical perspective.
- The Department of Fish Health Fiskaheilsa focuses on a variety of services and testings as well as research, advising and education.
- The Department of Fjord Dynamics Fjarðaelvi is predominantly involved with technology-based research pertaining to environmental factors in connection with fish farming.
- Firum owns a research vessel, the Andrias Reinert, which is used for various research operations, such as measuring waves and currents.